Today many in north Tulsa County are rejoicing after someone anonymously donated $360,00 to go towards resident’s outstanding utility bills.
The Senior Pastor of St. Andrew Baptist Church, Dr. B.M. Judge Bailey, said that’s been divided so that each week they can cover up to $7,000 on a first-come-first-served basis.
“Out of nowhere for a grace to be given like this in this way it just it moves the heart,” Bailey said.
Bailey learned of the donation through another pastor in Turley who called him.
“We’re in a community where this is a constant struggle in North Tulsa so when he called me and said, ‘Hey Judge listen a donation just came and they want good stewards to be able to care and dispense this for our northside county community,'” Bailey said, “I was on board. I believe in the church being the hands of Christ to be able to help our fellow man.”
The two churches, St. Andrew and Woodlake Family Church in Turley, formed the North Tulsa County Alliance to relieve community members from utility bills.
Bailey said most people who apply are simply not making enough to cover everything, or catching up from lost income due to COVID-19.
Tequilia Arnett is a mother of four who let out a sigh of relief after applying Monday, Nov. 9, 2020.
“It’s just a big relief,” Arnett said, “Just getting some assistance with my water bill. Fell on some hard times and need some assistance.”
All it takes is a quick application, a copy of your bill, and a short meeting with the pastor.
“You may get the help once or twice, but by the time you get to the third or fourth time,” Bailey said, “There’s going to be some stewardship.”
Dozens walked into St. Andrew Monday with debt and walked out covered, by the grace of God.
“This is the blessing of this not being attached to state resources,” Bailey said, “This is what God has done.”
If you’re a North Tulsa County resident in need of assistance, bring your utility bill, a photo ID on Mondays from 12:30-1:30 p.m. to the locations below.
- Nov. 16 – Woodlake Family Church Turley, 6301 North Peoria, Tulsa, OK 74126
- Nov. 23 – Saint Andrew Baptist Church, 3115 N Garrison Ave. Tulsa, OK 74106
- Nov. 30 – Woodlake Family Church Turley, 6301 North Peoria, Tulsa, OK 74126
- Dec. 7 – Saint Andrew Baptist Church, 3115 N Garrison Ave. Tulsa, OK 74106
- Dec. 14 – Woodlake Family Church Turley, 6301 North Peoria, Tulsa, OK 74126
- Dec. 21 – Saint Andrew Baptist Church, 3115 N Garrison Ave. Tulsa, OK 74106
- Dec. 28 – Woodlake Family Church Turley, 6301 North Peoria, Tulsa, OK 74126