These recipes will not only keep vegetarians from feeling excluded at the next family function, but these may even bring some folks over to the vegetarian way of life!
Sign Up for the Black Doctor Newsletter![sailthru_widget fields=”email” sailthru_list=”Black Doctor Subscribers”]
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 (10-ounce) packages)
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- Sit frozen spinach out to defrost.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Add and saute onions until translucent. This usually takes about 15 minutes.
- Add the flour and nutmeg. Stir for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce.
- Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the spinach to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- Best served warm.