The Oklahoma Eagle Newswire
Caring Hearts Foundation and Gibbs Next Generation are partnering together May 11th, 2019 (10:00 – 1:00) for the “Arts in the Spring Event”. This event is designed to enrich the human experience through the arts. A creative human expression of an eclectic mural on the backside of the Gibbs Shopping Center will kick off the event. There will be several Human Service/Community Service Organizations at the event to show community support and guidance; not to mention fun activities that will help engage children in their art experience.
Alain De Botton and John Armstrong explain in their book, Art as Therapy, SEVEN FUNCTIONS OF ART:
1. Memory – Artists not only preserve a visual reminder of a memory, they record the emotions associated with the memory
2. Hope – Art reminds us that there is beauty in the world that we can strive to see it, appreciate it, and have it
3. Sorrow – Art doesn’t just increase our capacity for joy, it validates our sorrows
4. Re-balancing – We gain balance through art by taking a moment to observe, judge, and appreciate things we don’t normally see and our responses to them
5. Growth – Art forces you to react and empathize with situations that you’re not accustomed to. This is growth
6. Appreciation – Art helps us to revisit the value of ordinary things like the pretty colors in a splash of morning light on a table cloth or the familiar and nostalgic aspects of old beer cans
7. Self-Understanding – Art helps us to complete our own unformed thoughts and ideas.
Through these seven things Alain De Botton and John Armstrong explain how art enables us to grow, reflect and evolve in our understanding of ourselves, each other and the world we live in; which is our goal for Arts in the Spring and the community of Tulsa as a whole.
This event will showcase the artistic talents of the members of the community; along with provide the citizens of North Tulsa and surrounding areas the ability to meet community organizations in support of the event and the community. Location is 612 E 46th Street North; Tulsa, OK 74126
Please be our guest Saturday May 11th, 2019 from 10:00 – 1:00 as we celebrate the arts